Nokhodchi is a delightful Persian treat that combines the goodness of chickpeas with delicate flavors of cardamom and rosewater. These melt-in-your-mouth cookies are traditionally enjoyed during Nowruz, the Persian New Year, as a symbol of prosperity and new beginnings. Made with chickpea flour, powdered sugar, and ghee, Nokhodchi is a gluten-free dessert that appeals to people of all ages.
Nokhodchi, commonly known as chickpeas, are an integral part of Persian cuisine and can be found in Persian grocery stores such as Ersaly online shops. These versatile legumes are cherished for their nutty flavor, firm texture, and numerous culinary applications.
Used in traditional dishes like falafel or hummus or as a protein-rich addition to salads and stews, chickpeas offer a delightful combination of taste and nutrition. Rich in plant-based protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, they are a wholesome choice for those seeking a nutritious and satisfying ingredient.
Benefits of Nokhodchi (Chickpeas)
Nokhodchi, or chickpeas, offer several health benefits when incorporated into a balanced diet. Here are some of the benefits of consuming chickpeas:
- Nutritional value: Chickpeas are packed with essential nutrients, including protein, dietary fiber, vitamins (such as folate and vitamin B6), minerals (such as iron, magnesium, and potassium), and antioxidants. These nutrients support overall health and well-being.
- Digestive health: The high fiber content in chickpeas promotes healthy digestion by aiding in regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. It also helps maintain a healthy gut microbiome, crucial for optimal digestive function.
- Blood sugar control: Chickpeas have a low glycemic index, meaning they cause a gradual and steady rise in blood sugar levels. This is beneficial for managing blood sugar levels, preventing spikes, and maintaining stable energy levels. It can benefit individuals with diabetes or those looking to regulate their blood sugar levels.
- Heart health: Chickpeas are heart-healthy legumes. They are low in saturated fat and contain soluble fiber, which helps lower cholesterol levels. The combination of nutrients in chickpeas, including folate and magnesium, may also contribute to a reduced risk of heart disease.
- Weight management: Chickpeas are a nutrient-dense food that provides satiety and can help with weight management. Chickpeas’ high fiber and protein content promotes feelings of fullness, which can reduce overall calorie intake and support healthy weight loss or maintenance.